Warner Bros. has announced plans to release Justice League: The New Frontier, the animated adaptation the late Darwin Cooke's seminal DC Comics classic, as a Commemorative Edition. While a full rundown of the edition's features has not yet been released, CBR has the exclusive first details about the re-issue and a look at the trailer.
Justice League: The New Frontier -- Commemorative Edition, produced by Michael Goguen and Bruce Timm, and directed by David Bullock from a script by Stan Berkowitz, will include a mini-documentary on Cooke's career, and different artwork from the late creator as the box art. The re-issue of the second-ever DC Universe Original Movie will be available via Digital Download, Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD; a release date has not yet been announced.
The film's cast includes:
- Kyle MacLachlan (Twin Peaks) as Superman
- Jeremy Sisto (Law & Order) as Batman
- Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess) as Wonder Woman
- Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother) as Barry Allen/The Flash
- David Boreanaz (Bones) as Hal Jordan/Green Lantern
- Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan) as Carol Ferris
- Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer) as Lois Lane
- Phil Morris (Seinfeld) as King Faraday
- The late Miguel Ferrer (NCIS: Los Angeles) as Martian Manhunter
Darwyn Cooke's decades-long association with DC Comics began in 1985, when he was spotlighted in Talent Showcase #19. From there, Cooke's focus shifted to animation for a number of years, working as a storyboard artist on Batman Beyond, Superman: The Animated Series and The New Batman Adventures. He returned to comics with a bang fifteen years later with the one-shot Batman: Ego, and in 2001, he and writer Ed Brubaker launched stylish update of Catwoman. Cooke wrote and illustrated the seminal DC: The New Frontier series in 2004, winning an array of awards including multiple Eisners, Harveys and a Schuster. In 2007, Cooke launched DC Comics' revival of The Spirit, the legendary Will Eisner’s most famous creation. Cooke passed away in 2016 following a battle with cancer.