Since 2012, readers have experienced the adventures of the five original X-Men following their arrival in the present day after being snatched from their proper place in the time stream. Though the team eventually learned the truth behind their predicament, none of them have been terribly eager to return to their own era. Alas, in August, they'll find themselves confronted with the fact that they can't stay here any longer, no matter how much they might want to.
In the pages of Extermination, Ed Brisson and Pepe Larraz will spin the final story of the teenage X-Men, in our time period at least, when Marvel Girl, Cyclops, Angel, Iceman and Beast learn that in order for the future to survive, they have to return to the past.
"In Extermination, we’re pushing the Original Five X-Men’s backs against the walls and forcing them to fight for the past, present and future," Brisson told CBR in a recent interview. "They’re going to have to make some incredibly difficult decisions and sacrifice on a level that they’ve never had to in the past. It’s not going to be easy."
That last bit may be an understatement. Brisson filled CBR in on what the team will face throughout the miniseries, teasing, "There’s another, mysterious figure, who seems to be helping Ahab in hunting down the Original Five, but who he is and what his motivations are is something I can’t spoil. I will say that it’s something that I’ve very excited about and feel that readers are going to either love or want to kill me over."
Of course, the most chilling line comes at the end of Brisson's talk with us, where he promises, "Not every X-Man is going to make it out of this alive, and the ending is going to leave a lot of jaws on the floor."
Check out five pages from Extermination #1, along with the issue's official solicitation text, below.
EXTERMINATION #1 & #2 (of 5)
- ED BRISSON (W) • PEPE LARRAZ (A)
- Covers by MARK BROOKS
- issue #1 - Variant Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
- issue #1 - Variant Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
- issue #1 - VARIANT COVER BY AMANDA CONNER
- issue #2 - Variant Cover by FRANK CHO
- issueS #1 & #2 - Connecting Variant Cover by MIKE HAWTHORNE
- Cyclops. Iceman. Angel. Beast. Marvel Girl. The original team of teen mutants brought together by Professor Charles Xavier many years ago have been shunted through time to find a world they barely recognize but were determined to help. Now, finding themselves targeted for death, the future of mutantkind lies squarely in the hands of its past. Writer Ed Brisson (OLD MAN LOGAN, CABLE) and artist Pepe Larraz (UNCANNY AVENGERS, AVENGERS: NO SURRENDER) answer the biggest question of all: can the fate of the X-Men be changed?
- issue #1 – 40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99
- issue #2 –
- 32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99