SPOILER WARNING: The following preview contains major spoilers for Dark Nights: Metal #1, by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, on sale Wednesday, August 16.
For months, Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo have been promising fans something massive and fun for their next DC Comics project, and in a CBR-exclusive preview of the first issue, it's apparent that they might have actually been underselling things.
In a mere seven pages, not only do we learn that the armor the League is wearing appears to be causing them more trouble than it is helping them, we learn that Toyman (presumably the current, young, heroic version, not the classic villain) is somehow helping them out in their battle against Mongul's robot gladiators. More than that, he's outfitted the League with their very own mecha, with each member of the team piloting their own extremity. Seriously -- the Justice League ends up fighting Mongul's warriors inside of a giant mecha that comes together exactly like Voltron. Batman, of course, forms the head.
What the rest of the issue holds for the Justice League remains to be seen, of course, but if this is the preamble to the main story -- nothing in the preview indicates Mongul has any overt ties to Batman's investigation of the mysterious metal -- then it's probably safe to bet we're in for a hell of a ride when Dark Nights: Metal finally arrives.
Check out the complete solicitation text and credits for Dark Nights: Metal #1, read the preview in the gallery below, and head to your local comic store Wednesday, August 16 for the full issue.
[vn_gallery name="PREVIEW: Dark Nights: Metal #1" id="1132032"]
DARK NIGHTS: METAL #1
- Written by SCOTT SNYDER • Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION
- Foil-stamped embossed cover by GREG CAPULLO
- Variant covers by ANDY KUBERT, JIM LEE and JOHN ROMITA JR.
- The superstar BATMAN team of writer Scott Snyder and artist Greg Capullo reunite for a massive, universe-spanning event!
- DARK NIGHTS: THE FORGE and THE CASTING hinted at dark corners of reality that have never been seen till now! Now, as DARK NIGHTS: METAL begins, the Dark Multiverse is revealed in all its devastating danger—and the threats it contains are coming for the DC Universe!
- DARK NIGHTS: METAL is a DC event unlike any other—one that will push Batman, Superman and heroes of the Justice League beyond their limits to take on threats unlike any our world has ever seen! It will take the combined might of the World’s Greatest Heroes as you’ve never seen them before to face what’s coming their way!
- “I’ve been planning METAL for as long as I’ve been writing Batman, but I want METAL to be built upon the stories happening now in Rebirth. Most of all we want to create new material that feels really modern and different. And above all, it’s going to be fun. Even with terror and nightmares, it won’t be grim. DARK NIGHTS: METAL will be celebratory, huge and crazy.” — SCOTT SNYDER
- “I’m looking forward to rock’n and roll’n together again. Fans have been loud and clear; they want more from us. We’re primed and ready to blow it up.” — GREG CAPULLO
- On sale AUGUST 16 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $4.99 US • RATED T+