The nominees for the Doug Wright Awards for Canadian Cartooning have been announced, with Montreal-based publisher Drawn & Quarterly netting five of the six spots in the Best Book category.
In addition, James Simpkins, creator of Jasper the Bear, will be this year’s inductee to the Giants of the North Canadian Cartoonist Hall of Fame.
The awards are named for Doug Wright, the late cartoonist whose strip Doug Wright’s Family appeared for more than 30 years in newspapers across Canada. The winners will be announced next month at the Toronto Comic Arts Festival.
Here’s the full list of nominees:
• Dressing, by Michael DeForge (Koyama Press)
• Melody, by Sylvie Rancourt (Drawn & Quarterly)
• Palookaville #22, by Seth (Drawn & Quarterly)
• Step Aside, Pops, by Kate Beaton (Drawn & Quarterly)
• Stroppy, by Marc Bell (Drawn & Quarterly)
• SuperMutant Magic Academy, by Jillian Tamaki (Drawn & Quarterly)
Doug Wright Spotlight Award (a.k.a. “The Nipper”)
• Ted Gudlat for Funny Ha-Has (Roads Publishing)
• Dakota McFadzean for Don’t Get Eaten By Anything (Conundrum Press)
• Rebecca Roher for Mom Body (The Nib)
• Sabrina Scott for Witchbody
• Kat Verhoeven for Towerkind (Conundrum Press)
Pigskin Peters Award
• Leather Vest, by Michael Comeau
• New Comics # 6 & 7, by Patrick Kyle
• Intelligent Sentient? by Luke Ramsey (Drawn & Quarterly)
• We Are Going To Bremen To Be Musicians, by Tin Can Forest and Geoff Berner
• Agalma, by Stanley Wany (Éditions Trip)
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!