Earlier this year, Mia Weisner, a graduate student at the University of Applied Sciences in Leipzig, Germany, asked readers of the webcomics news site Fleen to help out with her doctoral research by answering a survey on digital comics. Fleen’s Gary Tyrrell posted the results this week, and they make for interesting reading.
Of the 572 people who responded, only half said they read superhero comics. Action/adventure, humor/comedy and science fiction were the top genres, with over 60 percent each. Of course, this wasn’t a random sample (you can tell from the very first number: 98.6 percent were comics readers), and the preferred genres may reflect the sorts of things people come to Fleen to read about in the first place.
Still, these are the folks who are most likely to read digital comics, so the numbers paint an interesting picture. Some of the highlights:
- 86 percent are open to the idea of digital comics but only 42 percent have actually bought them.
- 33.3 percent of those who have bought digital comics bought them through comiXology, 31.7 percent bought them direct from publishers, and the other digital comics services (iVerse, Graphic.ly, Panelfly) each claimed less than a 19 percent share).
- 2.4 percent are willing to pay full (print) cover price for a digital comic, 8.5% are willing to pay up to 80 percent of cover price, and everyone else is looking for a better deal.
- More than a third of the respondents were in the 22-30 age group.
- Over half hate not really owning the comic, and 44 percent loathe DRM
If you look at these numbers, it looks like the digital comics folks are leaving money on the table. Half their potential audience isn’t buying and high cover price looks like a big part of the problem. Readers clearly perceive digital comics as a lesser product—because except for direct PDF downloads, you really don’t own them for good—and they aren’t willing to pay the full print price. Of course, as noted above, this is a self-selected group, but the readers of Fleen are probably an audience that digital comics marketers would want to pursue.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!