One of the most shocking moments during Tom King's run on Batman was the apparent death of Alfred Pennyworth at the hands of Bane, as part of the villain's ongoing effort to break the Dark Knight both physically and psychologically. While Alfred's demise was teased to be a ruse, new solicitation information hints that Bruce Wayne's butler and surrogate father figure may indeed be headed for the grave.
DC Comics has released its advance solicit information for titles going on sale this January, including the start of James Tynion IV's run on Batman replacing King. Judging by the plot description, Batman will struggle to pick up the pieces of his life after his climactic confrontation with Bane while solicit info for Detective Comics Annual #3 -- by Peter J. Tomasi, Sumit Kumar and Eduardo Risso -- more explicitly tease Alfred's death as real.
Batman #86 is written by James Tynion IV and illustrated by Tony S. Daniel and Danny Miki. It is scheduled to go on sale January 8 from DC Comics. Detective Comics Annual #3 is written by Peter J. Tomasi and illustrated by Sumit Kumar and Eduardo Risso. It is scheduled to go on sale January 29 from DC Comics.
- written by JAMES TYNION IV
- art by TONY S. DANIEL and DANNY MIKIcover by TONY S. DANIEL
- card stock variant cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
- It’s a new day in Gotham City, but not the same old Batman. With Bane vanquished and one of his longtime allies gone, Batman has to start picking up the pieces and stepping up his game. Batman has a new plan for Gotham City, but he’s not the only one. Deathstroke has returned as well, under a mysterious new contract that could change everything.
- Beginning a whole new chapter in the life of the Dark Knight, the epic art team of Tony S. Daniel and Danny Miki are joined by new series writer James Tynion IV!
- ON SALE 01.08.20
- $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
- CARD STOCK VARIANT COVER $4.99 US
- This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
DETECTIVE COMICS ANNUAL #3
- written by PETER J. TOMASI
- art by SUMIT KUMAR and EDUARDO RISSO
- cover by STEVE RUDE
- Of all the mayhem and madness that “City of Bane” visited upon Batman’s world, the death of Alfred Pennyworth had the greatest impact. As Bruce struggles to pick up the pieces of his life, the absence of the man who had always helped him is felt with devastating consequences. With new storm clouds brewing on the horizon, does Bruce Wayne have what it takes to honor his dearest friend’s memory?
- ON SALE 01.29.20$4.99 US | 48 PAGESFC|DC
Bane was revealed as the principal antagonist throughout King's run, organizing Batman's greatest villains to systemically dismantle Bruce Wayne's life on every conceivable level to break him for good and take over Gotham City. Judging by the solicits beyond City of Bane, the ramifications of King's story will be felt beyond his tenure writing the main title.