Contrary to what you may have read, “The Maze Runner” star Dylan O’Brien contends he hasn’t been offered the role of Spider-Man.
The 23-year-old actor was first mentioned early last month as a potential candidate to play Peter Parker in the franchise reboot from Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures, but in the past few days an Internet rumor has characterized his casting as all but a done deal.
However, O’Brien told BuzzFeed he hasn’t auditioned for the role, and doesn’t know any more about the project than what he’s read on the Internet.
“Professionally, I haven’t heard anything about it,” he said Tuesday from the set of MTV’s “Teen Wolf.” “I’ve only heard from, like, [rumors] online. […] It feels so weird to say. It’s so funny. My friends from New Jersey are calling me. They’re like, what are you not telling me, dude?! Spider-Man?!”
That said, O’Brien certainly wouldn’t mind receiving the call from Marvel.
“It’s nothing but flattering,” said the actor, who recently wrapped “The Scorch Trials,” the second film in the “Maze Runner” trilogy. “It’s never something I would want to get myself excited about, since I know I haven’t heard about it from a professional standpoint. I’ve always wanted to play Peter Parker, obviously. I feel like any actor my age, that’s, like, a big thing. And my name being tossed with Logan Lerman’s is the coolest thing ever, too. I just think that kid is fucking fantastic. It’s really just, you know, I guess I’ll see if I even hear about it? But thank you, Internet, for giving me false hope!”
Drew Goddard, who’s part of Sony’s “Amazing Spider-Man” brain trust, is reportedly in “very early talks” to write and direct the new film, which is scheduled for release on July 28, 2017. However, the new Spider-Man will make his debut in a Marvel film, widely expected to be 2016’s “Captain America: Civil War.”
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!