A new DC Comics crossover called "The Lazarus Contract" will see "Deathstroke," "Teen Titans," and "Titans" investigate one of the lingering questions spinning out of DC Rebirth: Slade Wilson's connection to the former Teen Titans.
The four-part event will focus on Deathstroke attempting to resurrect his son Grant, the original Ravager, by hunting Titan member Wally West. With Wally's connection to the pre-New 52 DC Universe there is potential for larger secrets surrounding his return to be answered. "The Lazarus Contract" will be written by Dan Abnett, Benjamin Percy, and Christopher Priest, with art by Brett Booth, Khoi Pham, Carlo Pagulayan, and Paul Pelletier.
The event's name is a callback to the classic "Judas Contract" storyline from Marv Wolfman and George Perez. Unfolding in “Tales of the Teen Titans” #42-44 and the Annual #3, “The Judas Contract” brought together long-brewing threads involving Deathstroke’s contract to deliver the Titans to the villainous organization H.I.V.E., and the betrayal of the team by new member Terra, who was working with the mercenary from the very beginning. The arc also marked the debut of Dick Grayson as Nightwing.
The word "Lazarus" is also tied to Batman villain Ra's al Ghul, which raises the question of whether the event involves Deathstroke in search of a Lazarus Pit in order to bring Grant back to life.
Below are the covers and solicitation text for "Titans" #11, "Teen Titans" #8, "Deathstroke" #19, and "Teen Titans Annual: The Lazarus Contract" #1, along with combined cover art.
- Written by DAN ABNETT, BENJAMIN PERCY and CHRISTOPHER PRIEST—Art by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND—Cover by MIKE McKONE—Variant cover by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND
- “THE LAZARUS CONTRACT” part one! When Deathstroke discovers that Wally West’s return holds the key to bringing his son back from the dead, he’ll stop at nothing to do just that! Don’t miss the debut chapter of the epic crossover event that you’ve been waiting for!
- On sale MAY 10 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
TEEN TITANS #8
- Written by DAN ABNETT, BENJAMIN PERCY and CHRISTOPHER PRIEST—Art by KHOI PHAM and WADE VON GRAWBADGER—Cover by MIKE McKONE—Variant cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
- “THE LAZARUS CONTRACT” part two! The Teen Titans collide with the Titans after both groups are targeted by the World’s Deadliest Assassin—Deathstroke! But when Robin interrogates Nightwing about his history with Deathstroke, dark secrets are revealed and alliances are broken!
- On sale MAY 17 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
- Written by DAN ABNETT, BENJAMIN PERCY and CHRISTOPHER PRIEST—Art by CARLO PAGULAYAN and JASON PAZ—Cover by MIKE McKONE—Variant cover by TONY S. DANIEL
- “THE LAZARUS CONTRACT” part three! Will Slade succeed in reuniting with his son even at the risk of cataclysmic disaster? Or will the Titans and the Teen Titans be fast enough to stop him from changing the world as we know it? Find out what happens when the World’s Deadliest Assassin becomes the Fastest Man Alive!
- On sale MAY 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+
TEEN TITANS ANNUAL: THE LAZARUS CONTRACT #1
- Written by DAN ABNETT, BENJAMIN PERCY and CHRISTOPHER PRIEST—Art by PAUL PELLETIER—Cover by MIKE McKONE
- “THE LAZARUS CONTRACT” finale! The conclusion to our epic crossover is here, the consequences of which will be felt for years to come! What does the future hold for the Titans teams after this game-changing run-in with their greatest enemy? Find out here as we set the stage for the next era of Titans, Teen Titans and Deathstroke!
- On sale MAY 31 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
(via Comics Alliance)