Soon, the Mighty Thor will die.
Marvel Comics has made no secret that the final days are here for the Jane Foster incarnation of the publisher's popular Asgardian god, but readers might be forgiven for not really believing the publisher. After all, nobody is ever truly dead in comics, and even if they do perish, it's only a matter of time before they're back from the grave.
Marvel is determined, however, to convince us that Jason Aaron and Russell Dauterman are truly poised to bid farewell to the current female Thor. "Prepare yourself as Jane Foster picks up Mjolnir one last time," reads the promotional text accompanying the first look at what's being billed as the Avenger's final battle, "and witness the death of a hero!"
So, will Jane Foster heft Mjolnir again after Mighty Thor #705 arrives on March 21? That remains to be seen, but until then, you can check out the first look at Aaron and Dauterman's story, along with the issue's official solicitation text, below.
MIGHTY THOR #705
- JASON AARON (W) • RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (A/C)
- VARIANT COVER BY JEE HYUNG
- MIGHTY THOR VARIANT COVER BY ESAD RIBIC
- VARIANT COVER BY ARTGERM
- THE DEATH OF THE MIGHTY THOR Part 6
- The epic showdown years in the making finally explodes across the heavens. Thor battles the unstoppable Mangog, with the fate of all Asgardia hanging in the balance. Is Thor willing to pay the ultimate price in order to save the gods? The tragic and heroic story of Jane Foster finally reaches its heart-rending zenith. You knew it was coming. The Death of Thor is here at last.
- 32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99