In March, writer Dan Slott kicks off what appears to be his final Amazing Spider-Man storyline in Issue #797. The arc, titled "Go Down Swinging," is illustrated by Stuart Immonen and will introduce an all-new character to Marvel Comics' Spider-Man mythos. The issue's solicitation text states, "Dan Slott has saved his most harrowing Spider-Man story for last."
Slott and Immonen's storyline, announced via Marvel Comics' March 2018 solicitations, focuses on the recently returned Green Goblin's most dangerous scheme to date and will introduce the Red Goblin to the Marvel Universe. Whether the character is a villain or hero remains unknown at this time.
Dan Slott has been guiding Spider-Man's comic book adventures since 2008. Slot joined the title as one of four writers during Amazing Spider-Man's weekly publication era from 2008-2010. He took over as the series sole scripted in November 2010, and has remained the main architect of Peter Parker's adventures since.
Over the course of his decade-long run with the character, Slott has introduced a number of massive changes to Spider-Man's world. Among the biggest moments are the death of Peter Parker, the rise of Doctor Octopus as the Superior Spider-Man, and the resurrection of Peter Parker. Slott told the story of Peter finally finding success (thanks in large part to Doc Ock's machinations while his mind was in control of Peter's body), and then losing it all. Most recently, Slott and Immonen paired Spider-Man with Mockingbird, both as superhero partners as well as love interests.
Check out Alex Ross' cover art and the full solicitation text for Amazing Spider-Man #797, the first chapter of Dan Slott and Stuart Immonen's "Go Down Swinging" storyline, below.
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #797
- DAN SLOTT (W) • STUART IMMONEN (A)
- Cover by ALEX ROSS
- CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY TBA (1 of 5)
- DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY TBA
- MIGHTY THOR VARIANT COVER BY CLAYTON CRAIN
- REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY TBA
- B&W REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY TBA
- GO DOWN SWINGING Part 1
- The Green Goblin is back — and scarier than ever! Dan Slott has saved his most harrowing Spider-Man story for last as he and Stuart Immonen kick off the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN story ten years in the making. Osborn got his crazy back and has a plan that’ll make all his past plans look like child’s play. Peter Parker and the people he loves (ALL of them) are in deep trouble. And who or what is the RED GOBLIN?! The only way Spider-Man survives is to GO DOWN SWINGING!
- 32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99