The CW has renewed the spy drama Nikita, which will likely slide into Smallville‘s Friday time slot, and added six new series, including the Sarah Michelle Gellar vehicle Ringer and the supernatural soap The Secret Circle.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the network has canceled the Tom Welling-produced cheerleading comedy-drama Hellcats, and will move One Tree Hill to midseason. That young-adult drama and Supernatural, which was renewed last month for a seventh season, are the only remaining holdovers from The WB.
The return of Nikita, based on the 1990 Luc Besson action film, seemed iffy at best, as the series averaged 2.5 million viewers even after a midseason retooling. But THR contends the show performed solidly, if not as well as the network hoped, and boasts international appeal thanks to star Maggie Q.
Below is a rundown of the new series. The CW will make its official announcements on Thursday.
- The Secret Circle, based on the popular series of fantasy romance novels by The Vampire Diaries author L.J. Smith. The drama centers on a young woman (Life Unexpected‘s Britt Robertson) who moves to a new town, only to discover that she’s a witch and part of a secret coven — as well as the key that will unlock a centuries-old battle between good and evil. It’s written and executive produced by Andrew Miller and The Vampire Diaries showrunner Kevin Williamson.
- Ringer, which marks the return to television of Buffy the Vampire Slayer star Sarah Michelle Gellar as a woman on the run from the mob who hides out by inhabiting the life of her wealthy twin, only to discover there’s a bounty on her sister’s life. Created by Supernatural writers and producers Eric Charmelo and Nicole Snyder, the series was originally set for CBS. Kristoffer Polaha (Life Unexpected) and Nestor Carbonell (Lost) also star.
- Hart of Dixie, a medical drama from Gossip Girl‘s Josh Schwartz about a young New York doctor (The O.C.‘s Rachel Bilson) who inherits a medical practice in a small Southern town populated by eccentrics.
- H8R, a reality series hosted by Mario Lopez in which celebrities go head-to-head with people who dislike them in an attempt to win over their haters.
- The Frame, a reality show in which 10 teams of two each live in a single room for up to eight weeks under constant surveillance.
- Re-Modeled, a mystifying show about a group created by fashion industry veteran Paul Fischer to protect small-town agents and empower models.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!