Artist/writer Chris Samnee announced Friday morning that he's reached the end of his Marvel Comics contract, with Captain America #700 in April being his final project with the publisher.
After working at Marvel for the last 10 years, Samnee will look to pursue other opportunities, though he did not state whether that will include work-for-hire or creator-owned work.
For those asking, I’ve finished my contract with Marvel so Cap 700 is my last issue. Thanks for your support of my Marvel work over the last 10 years & thanks to @Marvel for the awesome opportunities. I’m super excited about what’s next. I’ll share more as soon as I can! 😊— CHRIS SAMNEE (@ChrisSamnee) February 23, 2018
Samnee has spent the last several years at Marvel partnered with frequent collaborators Mark Waid, Matthew Wilson and Joe Caramagna, where they worked together on two volumes of Daredevil beginning in 2012, while also winning an Eisner Award in 2013 for Best Penciller/Inker along the way. The prolific artist would then add writer to his credits with the launch of a new Black Widow series in 2016.
The solicitation text for April's Captain America #700 is below, along with Chris Samnee's cover.
CAPTAIN AMERICA #700
- MARK WAID (W) • CHRIS SAMNEE (A/C)
- Variant Cover by JOHN CASSADAY
- Variant Cover by ALEX ROSS
- BLACK AND WHITE Variant Cover by Jim Steranko
- Remastered Artist Variant Cover by Jim Lee
- BLACK AND WHITE REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY JIM LEE
- VENOM 30TH VARIANT COVER BY TBA
- BLANK VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
- OUT OF TIME CONCLUSION!
- Cap is finally “OUT OF TIME”!
- Frozen in time, awakened in a decimated future and once again a man out of his era, there is only one way for Steve Rogers to restore order and rebuild civilization—and that’s to rule it as King Captain America! No dream, no hoax, no lie, this IS Cap and this IS happening, believe it or not!
- PLUS: Mark Waid delivers an untold tale from Captain America’s past, featuring the classic artwork of Jack Kirby!
- 56 PGS./Rated T+ …$5.99