Director Jason Reitman announced earlier this year that he would be directing Ghostbusters 3, the franchise his late father Harold Ramis helped create in 1984. Now, one former star of the series has revealed he would be more than happy to return to the series.
Despite years of reluctance, Bill Murray seems to have decided that he'd be willing to return for the next Ghostbusters film. IndieWire reports that Murray was asked about the project during an interview at the Cannes Film Festival. While Murray was promoting his role in Jim Jarmusch’s The Dead Don’t Die, he talked about his cameo in 2016's Ghostbusters.
"I was in that movie just because they asked me, and I knew if I said no, I was saying I didn’t support that movie... I felt like, OK, I’m going to support them because I support them as people," Murray said. "So I did that one and I would do this next one.”
Murray also looked fondly back on his time making the original Ghostbusters.
"We made this thing. We are the caretakers of it. It’s a great thing and it was a really fun movie to make," he said. "It’s a real movie with some really funny stuff in it."
Directed and co-written by Jason Reitman with Gil Kenan (Monster House), the upcoming Ghostbusters revival is scheduled to be released Jul. 20, 2020.