Nightwing writer Benjamin Percy announced Tuesday night that October's Issue #50 will be his last on the series.
Percy made the announcement on his Twitter account in a string of four separate tweets, and while he didn't go into the specifics on why he's stepping away from Nightwing, he did state that he didn't get to complete the story he had planned for Dick Grayson. "I really wish I could have told the story I planned to tell...but I promise I'm leaving you on a high note," Percy said.
The writer took the time to thank his Nightwing collaborators and editors, while also mentioning how it was his lifelong dream to be a member of the Bat Family of creators. Percy also shared interior artwork and covers from upcoming issues of Nightwing.
Thread: 1) Thanks for the well wishes on The Comet Cycle. I'm going to hunker down and concentrate on finishing it. And I'm afraid Nightwing #50 will be my last in the series. I'm proud to have written it and I'm lucky as hell to have partnered w/ @CTMooneyham and @TravisGMoore pic.twitter.com/TJqYDQTnQx— Benjamin Percy (@Benjamin_Percy) September 12, 2018
2). They’re world-class artists and good people. I’m leaving Nightwing in their great hands, and in the care of my fantastic editors Jamie Rich, Katie Kubert and Dave Wielgosz. It was my longtime dream to be part of the Bat Family and they’ve made it a career highlight. pic.twitter.com/iyvBLQKC8i— Benjamin Percy (@Benjamin_Percy) September 12, 2018
3) See you next week for Nightwing #49, and on October 3rd for Nightwing #50. I really wish I could have told the story I planned to tell...but I promise I'm leaving you on a high note. pic.twitter.com/BqzJ0RMSoN— Benjamin Percy (@Benjamin_Percy) September 12, 2018
Earlier this month DC Comics teased a major trauma for Dick Grayson in Nightwing #50, with a cover by artist Christopher Mooneyham showing Nightwing with a buzzcut hairstyle and a Bat symbol-shaped scar on the side of his head with the caption, “Some scars run deeper than others.”
The full solicitation text for Nightwing #50, Percy's final issue, can be found below:
- written by BENJAMIN PERCY
- art by TRAVIS MOORE and CHRISTOPHER MOONEYHAM
- cover by MIKE PERKINS
- variant cover by JONBOY MEYERS
- “Knight Terrors” begins here! The big issue #50 kicks off an epic four-part story that brings together critical moments of fear and doubt from the past and the present. A young Dick Grayson hopes to escape the shadow of the Bat and earn the title of Nightwing, while an older Dick Grayson must deal with a blow he did not see coming. A common enemy unites the timelines: the Scarecrow, as you’ve never seen him before! This story goes deep into the mythology and nightmarish development of Dr. Jonathan Crane.
- ON SALE 10.3.18
- $4.99 US | 48 PAGES
- FC | RATED T