DC has revealed that James Tynion IV's upcoming run on Batman will begin in a short prelude story in December's Batman #85, before officially starting in the following month's Batman #86.
According to Newsarama, DC informed retailers of the addition, which describes the two-page story as a "prelude to 'Their Dark Designs,' a new epic written by James Tynion IV that gets under way in Batman #86 and touches on the revelation of Superman's secret identity!"
The description also confirms that the story will be illustrated by Guillem March and will feature an appearance by the Joker, as well as setting up Tynion's plans for the series in 2020.
The bonus material will not affect the 48 page-count of the issue, which will feature the finale of writer Tom King's "City of Bane" and his tenure on the ongoing series.
Tynion was announced as the new writer for DC's Batman series in September with artist Tony S. Daniel. Their run on the title will begin with January's Batman #86, the solicitation for which can be found below:
- written by JAMES TYNION IV
- art by TONY S. DANIEL and DANNY MIKI cover by TONY S. DANIEL
- card stock variant cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
- It’s a new day in Gotham City, but not the same old Batman. With Bane vanquished and one of his longtime allies gone, Batman has to start picking up the pieces and stepping up his game. Batman has a new plan for Gotham City, but he’s not the only one. Deathstroke has returned as well, under a mysterious new contract that could change everything.
- Beginning a whole new chapter in the life of the Dark Knight, the epic art team of Tony S. Daniel and Danny Miki are joined by new series writer James Tynion IV!
- ON SALE 01.08.20
- $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
- CARD STOCK VARIANT COVER $4.99 US
- This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.