Archie Comics has a long history of genre experimentation, decades before catching recent readers' attentions with horror hits Afterlife with Archie and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Since the '60s, Archie Comics has periodically dabbled in superhero fare -- in typically lighthearted fashion -- with Archie and the Riverdale gang becoming the "Superteens."
The Superteens will return in June's Archie's Superteens vs. Crusaders, a two-issue series written by Ian Flynn, David Williams, Gary Martin, and illustrated by Kelsey Shannon, David Williams, Gary Martin, Jack Morelli. It marks the first appearance of the Superteens since a 2014 story running through the Archie & Friends Double Digest, and the first series starring the character's since 1995's Archie's Super Teens. As the name implies, it sees the Superteens pitted against the Mighty Crusaders, the more traditional team of superheroes who normally operate in a separate universe from Archie and friends.
“It’s been a while since we’ve seen the 'Superteens,' so it’s fantastic to see them jumping back into action," Flynn said in a statement to CBR. "And folks will likely still be hungry for more Mighty Crusaders goodness. The meeting of these two super-teams has been a long time coming and it’s got all the fun and excitement you could expect from a collision of these two properties!”
Flynn also wrote the current four-issue Mighty Crusaders series for Archie, which wraps in March.
In the Superteens world, Archie becomes Pureheart the Powerful; Betty, Superteen; Jughead, Captain Hero; Veronica, Miss Vanity; and Reggie, Evilheart. Both Pureheart the Powerful and the Red Circle line of Archie Comics (home to the Mighty Crusaders) have been referenced on the currently unfolding second season of Riverdale.
CBR has the first look at the main covers to Archie's Superteens vs. Crusaders issues #1 and #2, along with solicitation text for issue #1. Keep reading for a preview from issue #1!
ARCHIE SUPERTEENS VS. CRUSADERS #1
- Riverdale High’s new substitute teacher is very odd. Snubbed by the scientific community, he plans his revenge—on the students of Riverdale High! It’s going to take a team of people with some mighty powers to stop him. Archie Comics’ two most renowned superhero teams are going to meet up for the first time ever in this special mini-series! Features cover 1 of 2 special connecting main covers!
- Script: Ian Flynn, David Williams, Gary Martin
- Art: Kelsey Shannon, David Williams, Gary Martin, Jack Morelli
- Cover: David Williams, Gary Martin, Kelsey Shannon – Connecting Cover 1
- Variant Covers: David Williams – Pencil Variant, Tom Grummett
- On Sale Date: 6/20
- 32-page, full color comic • $3.99 U.S.