Archie Comics Publishing today revealed exclusively to CBR three variant covers for the upcoming milestone Archie #700. The issue will mark the introduction of Nick Spencer and Marguerite Sauvage as the series' new creative team. The variant covers are provided by Thomas Pitilli, Paul Renaud and Michael Walsh.
The series will be penned by Spencer, who is best known for his work on Marvel Comics series like Secret Avengers and Ant-Man. At Image Comics, he is known for the creator-owned titles Morning Glories, Thief of Thieves and The Fix.
"Getting to write all the Riverdale gang, together again after a long, life-changing summer vacation, has been a real thrill!” Said Spencer. “Everyone is bringing something back with them. Maybe it’s an experience they had, maybe it’s something they learned... or maybe it’s a secret. We’re building off the run before us and paying homage to decades of Archie comics, but this is a perfect place to jump in for new readers."
Marguerite Sauvage will be the series’ new artist. She is best known for her illustrations in the Bombshells series at DC Comics and Faith at Valiant Entertainment.
"I love the pacing of the action in Nick's writing and the care he puts into these relationships,” said Sauvage. “Longtime Archie fans won’t be disappointed; it’s full of humor, touching moments... and mysteries! I'm really happy drawing the teens' everyday life; their fashion, expressions, experiences. The characters are so firmly established that it lets me be more playful with their personalities in a visual way."
A synopsis for Archie #700 and the three variant covers can be found below:
- A brand-new era of ARCHIE begins in this landmark 700th issue of our flagship series! Join the new creative team of writer Nick Spencer (The Amazing Spider-Man) and artist Marguerite Sauvage (DC's Bombshells) as they take a trip to Riverdale and bring Archie, Betty & Veronica, Jughead, and the rest of the town along for a wild ride complete with new mysteries, new relationships, and much more!
- Script: Nick Spencer
- Art: Marguerite Sauvage, Jack Morelli
- Cover: Marguerite Sauvage
- Variant Covers: Mike Allred & Laura Allred, Matthew Dow Smith, Francesco Francavilla, Robert Hack, David Mack, Audrey Mok, Thomas Pitilli, Paul Renaud, Michael Walsh
- On Sale Date: 11/21
- 32-page, full color comic
- $3.99 U.S.