As a franchise whose whole theme is evolution, the X-Men have more than lived up to expectations with their ever-changing lineups. Since debuting in 1963, Marvel's mutants have grown from a lone ongoing series struggling with sales to an entire line of comics starring hundreds of different heroes. As Marvel's "All-New, All-Different" line continues to roll out, X-Men fans are being introduced to the all-new status quo going into 2016. That means new rosters and new #1 issues -- two things the X-Men are familiar with.
The evolution of the X-Line started with "Extraordinary X-Men" #1, a book starring Storm and a lineup mixing characters both classic and new. The second team book, "All-New X-Men," kicks off this Wednesday with a new #1 issue from Dennis Hopeless and Mark Bagley. To celebrate that fresh start, we've compiled a list highlighting the X-Men's -- and their spinoff teams' -- debuts and shake-ups. The evolution of the X-Line begins...now.
1. There's the roster that started it all...
2. And the lineup change that set a precedent.
3. The franchise grew with the New Mutants.
4. The originals reunited in X-Factor...
5. While the X-Men looked completely different.
6. Excalibur brought mutant madness to Europe.
7. Even tiny Muir Island got their own X-Team.
8. The X-Men survived a "who wore it best" moment.
9. The New Mutants turned into the rough and tumble X-Force...
10. And X-Factor went through a kooky transformation.
11. And everyone came back to the X-Men.
12. Yep, there are X-Men 84 years in the future!
13. The teen team tradition continued.
14. X-Factor went from kooky to killer.
15. Excalibur expanded.
16. X-Force hit the road and ditched their costumes.
17. The X-Men welcomed some...interesting new recruits...
18. And quickly returned to something more traditional.
19. And then a revolution happened...
20. And one team became extreme...
21. Another team bought new leather jackets...
22. And X-Force became something completely different.
23. The X-Men kept the Westchester mall's leather store in business.
24. And the teen team tradition continued to continue.
25. The X-Men swung back towards color in the mid '00s.
26. One team of X-Men astonished...
27. While the teen team got darker.
28. Some mutants returned to England...
29. While others became co-workers.
30. X-Force became somehow even deadlier.
31. The Xavier school kept taking in new students.
32. The original teen team enjoyed a class reunion.
33. X-Force got an uncanny shake-up.
34. Hope Summer ushered in a new generation.
35. Scott Summers launched the Extinction Team.
36. Alex Summers and Lorna Dane returned to X-Factor.
37. The "Astonishing X-Men" took it to the streets.
38. The original X-Men time traveled and became the "All-New" X-Men.
39. Cable's X-Force reunited...
40. While Storm hand-picked her X-Force crew.
41. Cyclops split off and started a revolution.
42. Storm put together an elite security team.
43. X-Factor went corporate.
44. X-Force returned to black ops.
45. And now Storm leads an "extraordinary" lineup...
46. And a new era of "All-New X-Men" begins.