The Slate Book Review and the Center for Cartoon Studies have announced the shortlist for the third annual Cartoonist Studio Prize, which honors one print comic and one webcomic released in 2014.
The shortlists were selected by Slate Book Review editor Dan Kois, the faculty and students at the Center for Cartoon Studies, represented by CCS Fellow Sophie Yanow, and this year’s guest judge, cartoonist Paul Karasik. Each winner receives $1,000.
Best Print Comic of the Year Shortlist
• Arsene Schrauwen by Olivier Schrauwen (Fantagraphics)
• Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann and Kerascoët (Drawn and Quarterly)
• Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast (Bloomsbury)
• Here by Richard McGuire (Pantheon)
• The Hospital Suite by John Porcellino (Drawn and Quarterly)
• How to Be Happy by Eleanor Davis (Fantagraphics)
• An Iranian Metamorphosis by Mana Neyestani (Uncivilized Books)
• The Love Bunglers by Jaime Hernandez (Fantragraphics)
• This One Summer by Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki (First Second)
• Truth is Fragmentary by Gabrielle Bell (Uncivilized Books)
Best Webcomic of the Year Shortlist
• Bikram Addict by Eroyn Franklin, published in the Nib
• Carriers by Lauren R. Weinstein, published in Nautilus
• Dear Amanda by Cathy G. Johnson
• The Hole the Fox Did Make by Emily Carroll
• Hollow, Part I by Sam Alden
• How San Francisco Sold a Majority Stake to Tech by Susie Cagle, published in Al Jazeera America
• Nod Away by Joshua W. Cotter
• Oh Joy Sex Toy! by Erika Moen and Matthew Nolan
• SuperMutant Magic Academy by Jillian Tamaki
• Watching by Winston Rowntree
The winners will be announced in April.
(via The Comics Reporter)
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!