The shortlists were selected by Slate Book Review editor Dan Kois; the faculty and students at the Center for Cartoon Studies, represented by CCS Fellow Nicole Georges; and this year’s guest judge, Christopher Butcher of the Toronto comic book store The Beguiling and co-founder of the Toronto Comic Arts Festival.
Best Graphic Novel of the Year Shortlist
- Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang. Published by First Second.
- The Encyclopedia of Early Earth by Isabel Greenberg. Published by Little, Brown.
- The Initiates: A Comic Artist and a Wine Artisan Exchange Jobs, by Étienne Davodeau. Published by NBM.
- Julio’s Day by Gilbert Hernandez. Published by Fantagraphics.
- Map of Days, by Robert Hunter. Published by Nobrow Press.
- Paul Joins the Scouts, by Michel Rabagliati. Published by Conundrum Press.
- The Property by Rutu Modan. Published by Drawn and Quarterly.
- Sunny Vol. 1 and Sunny Vol. 2, by Taiyo Matsumoto. Published by VIZ Media.
- Susceptible by Geneviève Castrée. Published by Drawn and Quarterly.
- Today Is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life by Ulli Lust. Published by Fantagraphics.
Best Web Comic of the Year Shortlist
- As the Crow Flies by Melanie Gillman.
- Bouletcorp by Boulet.
- Gunshow by KC Green.
- Household by Sam Alden.
- The Lone Wolf by Jennifer Parks.
- Lucky, by Gabrielle Bell.
- Oh Joy, Sex Toy by Erika Moen.
- Out of Skin by Emily Carroll.
- Sticks Angelica by Michael DeForge.
- Subnormality by Winston Rowntree.