Official Press Release
The nominees for the 2003 Russ Manning Most Promising Newcomer Award have been announced. They are:
* Bosch Fawstin, writer/artist of the self-published graphic novel Table for One
* Derek Kirk Kim, writer/artist of the self-published Same Difference, And Other Stories (now available from Top Shelf)
* Ryan Otley, artist of Invincible, published by Image
* Phil Singer, artist of Stonehaven, a graphic novel published by Stickman Graphics
* Eric Wight, artist of “The Passing of the Key,” in Michael Chabon Presents The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist, No. 1, published by Dark Horse Comics
The award will be presented on the evening of Friday, July 23, at the San Diego Convention Center as part of Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards ceremony.
The nominees are selected by a committee consisting of representatives of the West Coast Comics Club and Comic-Con International: San Diego. The winner is chosen by past Manning award winners and Russ Manning assistants.
The Manning award has been given out annually at the San Diego Comic-Con since 1982. It is given in the name of Russ Manning, the artist best known for his work on the Tarzan and Star Wars newspaper strips and the Magnus, Robot Fighter comic book. Russ was a popular guest at the San Diego convention in the 1970s. Past Manning winners have included Dave Stevens, Jan Duursema, Steve Rude, Scott McCloud, Art Adams, Eric Shanower, Dan Brereton, Jeff Smith, Gene Ha, Goran Sudzuka, and Tan Eng Huat.
The chair of the Manning Awards committee is Gene Henderson. He can be contacted via the Comic-Con International address: P.O. Box 128458, San Diego, CA 92112.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!