This is an archive of all the installments of “When We First Met,” which examines the first appearance of various parts of comic book lore. The list is in chronological order, so the most recent additions are on the bottom of the page.
1. First appearance of Batman’s giant penny, first appearance of the “Half-Spider-Man mask” and first appearance of “Avengers Assemble!”
2. First appearance of Life Model Decoys, first appearance (and use) of Jimmy Olsen’s signal watch and first appearance of “It’s clobberin’ time!”
3. First appearance of Batman’s giant dinosaur, first time Peter Parker kissed a girl and first appearance of Perry White.
4. First in-story reference to Cap’s Kooky Quartet, first appearance of Uncle Scrooge’s first dime and first time Johnny Storm said “flame on!”
5. First appearance of S.T.A.R. Labs, first “snikt” and first appearance of a relative of Bruce Wayne.
6. First appearance of the Daily Bugle, first appearance of Arkham Asylum (including first time a super-villain escaped from Arkham) and first person other than Thor and Odin to lift Mjolnir.
7. First “Spider-Man: Threat or Menace?” headline, first appearance of the batarang, first appearance of the Junior Woodchuck Guidebook
8. First appearance of the boxing glove arrow, first time Hulk said “puny humans” and first appearance of Pete Ross.
9. First time Aquaman was called Arthur Curry, first time Cyclops was referred to as “Slim” and first appearance of Vicki Vale
10. First “Bwah Ha Ha Ha,” first time Psylocke explained to us how her psychic knife is the “focused totality of her telepathic powers” and first Appearance of the Beagle Boys
11. First Alfred the Butler, first Thin Alfred and first Alfred Pennyworth
12. First “Fastball Special,” introduction of Batman’s Utility Belt and first Appearance of Edwin Jarvis
13. First time Reed and Sue kissed, First time Robby Reed said “Sockamagee!” and first appearance of the S.H.I.E.L.D. barber chair entrance
14. First time Strange said “By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth!”, first appearance of the Eye of Agamotto and irst appearance of the cloak of levitation
15. First Appearance of Oracle, first time Oracle began Batman’s source of information and first interaction Barbara Gordon had with Dick Grayson as Oracle.
16. First Appearance of Gladstone Gander, first appearance of Lucy Lane and first appearance of the Jordan brothers
17. First Appearance of Martian Manhunter as a traditional superhero, first mention of the Martian god H’ronmeer and first mention of J’onn’s love of Oreos
18. First mention of Earth-616, first mention of the Wayne Foundation and first appearance of Steve Lombard
19. First appearance of the Batmobile, first appearance of Thing’s Aunt Petunia and first mention of Superman as the “Man of Steel”
20. First Appearance of the Guardians, first Appearance of Kilowog and first Appearance of Ganthet
21. First Appearance of Katma Tui, first Appearance of Ch’p and first Appearance of G’nort
22. First appearance of vibranium, first appearance of Adamantium and first mention of Captain America’s shield as an adamantium/vibranium alloy
23. First time Deadpool broke the fourth wall, first mention of Oliver Queen’s famous chili and first appearance of Deadshot
24. First Appearance of Krypto, first Appearance of Ace, the Bat-Hound and first Appearance of Streaky
25. First appearance/birth of Aquababy, first appearance/birth of Luna and first appearance/birth of Aleea Strange
26. First Appearance of Sue Dibny, first Appearance of Jean Loring and first Appearance of Big Barda
27. First time Spider-Man used his webs to create an object like a parachute/First time Spider-Man ran out of web fluid, first time Hector Hammond had the giant noggin and first time Riddler wore the green question mark dress suit and bowler hat
28. First appearance of Bat-Signal, first time Krypto “talked” via thought balloons and first time Nightcrawler’s teleportations were accompanied by a “BAMF!” sound effect
29. First reference to Batman living in Gotham City, first appearance of the famous “In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night” Green Lantern Oath and first reference to the Hulk getting stronger as he gets madder
30. First time Lois Lane showed an interest in Superman’s true identity, first time Lois Lane considered Clark Kent was Superman and first time Lois set out to prove Clark Kent was Superman
31. First time Hulk said “Hulk Smash”, first time Hulk said “Hulk is the strongest one there is” and first time Thor’s hammer is called Mjolnir
32. First time Wolverine said “bub,” first time Wolverine went into berserker rage, first time we learned Wolverine’s claws are part of his body, irst time Wolverine called Jean Grey “red,” first time we learn that Wolverine’s name is Logan, first time we learn that Wolverine has a healing power and first time Wolverine says “I’m the best there is at what I do”
33. First appearance of the Fortress of Solitude, first mention of Cyttorak and first time the Invisible Girl used her force fields.
34. First usage of Spider-Man’s Spider-Sense, first time Spider-Man’s Spider-Sense tingled, first appearance of Leslie Thompkins, first time Lana Lang appeared as an adult
35. First time Punisher killed someon, first Punisher origin and first time “Frank Castle” is named
36. First appearance of green kryptonite, first appearance of red kryptonite, first time red kryptonite was shown to have various effects on Superman
37. First appearance of Avengers mansion, first appearance of the Avengers quinjet, first time an Avenger revealed his or her secret identity, first appearance of the Avengers identicard and the beginning of the Wonder Man/Beast friendship
38. First appearance of the Darkhold, first appearance of the Serpent Crown and first appearance of the Casket of Ancient Winters
39. First appearance of Pop Tate’s soda shop, first appearance of the Coffee Bean and first appearance of Harry’s Hideaway
40. First appearance of the Dominators, first appearance of the Rigellians and first appearance of the Badoon
41. First appearance of “thwip,” first appearance of “Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man” and first appearance of Spider-tracers
42. First Legion Clubhouse, First Justice League Secret Sanctuary, First Justice League Satellite and First Baxter Building
43. First Invisible Jet, First Diana Prince and First Time Wonder Woman Exclaimed “Merciful Minerva!”
44. First time Batman vanished on Commissioner Gordon, first time the Thing called the Human Torch “match stick” and the first time he called Mr. Fantastic “stretch”
45. First time Peter Parker sold photos to the Daily Bugle, the first time Spider-Man left a note for the police with tied-up crook(s), the first appearance of Spider-Man’s Spider-Signal and the first time Spidey was drawn without the webs underneath his arms.
46. First appearance of the Legion of Super-Heroes “No duplicate powers” rule, first time Arkham Asylum was located in Gotham City and the first time Flash Thompson was in the Army
46. First Peanuts strip, first appearance of Snoopy, first appearances of Linus and Lucy and first time Lucy pulls the football away from Charlie Brown
47. First Catwoman appearance, First masked Catwoman, First Batman/Catwoman Kiss, First Classic Outfit Catwoman and First Selina Kyle
48. First appearance of Beetle Bailey, when Beetle enlisted in the Army, first appearance of Sarge and the first time Beetle had to hide a cake his mother sent him from home
49. First Joe Kubert art, First appearance of Tor, First appearance of Sgt. Rock prototype, First appearance of Sgt. Rock proper, First appearance of Enemy Ace, First appearance of Unknown Soldier and first Tarzan art by Kubert
50. First Hi and Lois appearance, First Hi and Lois comic strip, First appearance of Luann and her first comic strip, first appearances of all of Luann’s supporting cast
51. First Roy Harper, First Cheshire, First Lian Harper
52. First Latveria, First Transia and First Symkaria
53. First Modora, First Vlatava, First Zandia and First Markovia.
54. First Punisher’s Battle Van, First Hawkeye’s Sky Cycle and First Moon Knight Chopper
55. First Mariko, First Morgan Stark and First Kristy Watson
56. First Time Bubble, First Legion Flight Ring, First Science Police, First Interlac, First Inerton and First Miracle Machine
57. First Ivan Petrovich, First Ubu and First Major Wintergreen
58. First Query and Echo, First Bane henchmen and First Magneto’s Acolytes
59. First appearances of Commissioner Gordon, Harvey Bullock, Renee Montoya, Sarah Essen, Crispus Allen, Clancy O’Hara and Mackenzie “Hardback” Bock
60. First appearances of Baroness Von Gunther, Duke of Deception, Doctor Psycho, Cheetah and the Angle Man
61. First appearances of Jane Foster, Loki, Heimdall, Odin, Balder, Sif and the Warriors Three
62. First appearances of Liz Allan, Betty Brant, Mary Jane Watson, Gwen Stacy, Felicia Hardy, Marcy Kane, Debra Whitman, Glory Grant, Jill Stacy, Michelle Gonzales and Carlie Cooper
63. First appearances of the cast of Calvin and Hobbes
64. First Jennifer Kale, First Topaz, First Satana and First Agatha Harkness
65. First instances of death in Batman comics
66. First appearances of G.W. Bridge, Maria Hill and Daisy Johnson
67. First appearances of Jimmy Woo, Jasper Sitwell, La Contessa Valentina Allegra de la Fontaine and Clay Quartermain
68. First appearance of John Garrett, Mikel Fury, Abigail Brand, Nick Fury Jr. and Phil Coulson
69. First appearances of the cast of Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman
70. All of Iron Man’s Armors!
71. The Guardians of the Galaxy (Star-Lord, Drax the Destroyer, Gamora, Groot and Rocket Raccoon)
72. First Anti-Spider-Man Daily Bugle headline, first time Spider-Man was wanted by the authorities and the first time that Spider-Man pulled a prank on J. Jonah Jameson
73. First Time That the Avengers Masthead Read “And There Came a Day…”
74. Joker’s Joy Buzzer, Joker’s Acid-Squirting Flower and Joker’s “Bang” Flag Gun
75. The Cast of Arrow
76. The Cast of Guardians of the Galaxy
77. The Cast of Gotham
78. More Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
79. Season Three Additions to the Cast of Arrow
80. Every Incarnation of Ultron
81. The Cast of the Suicide Squad Film
82. The Creature Commandos
83. Robin says “Holy ____” plus first themed Batman villain henchmen.
84. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman’s First Meeting
85. Flash’s Rogues
86. When did Bruce Wayne first become a billionaire?
87. When did Wonder Woman first gain the ability to fly on her own?
88. When Did Uncle Ben First Say “With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility?”
89. Famous Fantastic Four Firsts!
90. When Did John Constantine and Green Arrow First Meet?
91. When Did Deadpool’s Word Balloons Become Yellow?
92. Who was the First Comic Book Superhero to Die in the Line of Duty?
93. Who Was the First Comic Book Superhero to Come Back From the Dead?
94. When Did the First Gimmick Covers Come Out?
95. The Comic Debuts of the Cast of Jessica Jones
96. The Comic Debuts of the Cast of Deadpool
97. When Did Iron Man Become Tony Stark’s Bodyguard?
98. When Did Iron Man and Captain America FIRST Disagree About the Superhuman Registration Act?