Despite reports last week that Taron Egerton is one of just a handful of oung actors still in the running to play a young Han Solo in the “Star Wars” spinoff, the star of “Kingsman: The Secret Service” insists he’s never been contacted by Lucasfilm.
Appearing with his “Eddie the Eagle” co-star Hugh Jackman over the weekend on “The Jonathan Ross Show,” Egerton acknowledged that “I’ve heard this rumor, yes.”
“I’ve seen the stuff on the Internet, and I think any lad of my age would kill to play a part like that,” the 26-year-old actor said. “It’s very, very flattering. I have no idea if there’s any truth in it, but, I mean, Lucasfilm, Disney, if there is, then you know where I am.”
Of course, it remains to be seen whether Egerton is merely playing the casting game, or if he really hasn’t been approached about the iconic role.
More than 2,500 actors are said to have either read in person or submitted tapes to audition for the part of a 20-something Han Solo in the 2018 film. That very long list was reportedly whittled down to about a dozen names by January. However, as of last week, the pool had shrunk to three, give or take, including Alden Ehrenreich (“Hail, Caesar!”), Jack Reynor (“Transformers: Age of Extinction”) and possibly Egerton, depending on whom you believe.
Directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller (“The LEGO Movie”) from a script by Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan, the Han Solo movie opens May 25, 2018.
(via Screen Rant)