It’s funny how well comic book licenses and pinball go together, as Zen Studios has proven over the past several years with its Marvel Pinball collaborations. And thanks to Stern Pinball, Earth’s Mightiest Heroes are poised to leap from video game consoles to physical pinball tables. Despite the dwindling arcade game market, the company has been busy creating devoted tables based on a number of franchises, including “Avatar,” “Tron Legacy,” “Transformers” and the band AC/DC, and now it has Marvel Studios’ “The Avengers” in its sights.
Earlier this year, the company released a popular table based on Marvel’s “X-Men” characters, featuring the likes of Wolverine, Magneto and other familiar heroes and villains, who took part in various bonus rounds and skill shots for the game. Now, Stern has announced a table based on director Joss Whedon’s wildly successful summer blockbuster, featuring Iron Man, Thor, Loki and even Agent Coulson. For good measure, a moderately sized Hulk figurine is on the playfield, interacting with certain shots by raising his arms madly and interfering with the game as players attempt to smash their way into the high score rankings.
“The Avengers” includes a number of bonus rounds that fit right in with the tone of the film, including a C-O-S-M-I-C spelling chance (activating letters by hitting a spinning Tesseract on the playfield), a “Raging Hulk” round where you have to get him to grab the ball and a Loki Multiball where you hit multiple targets in an attempt to stop his invasion of the city. Like its previous tables, “The Avengers” comes with Stern’s red LED Dot Matrix display, enabling players to see their favorite heroes in action as each bonus round is activated.
Stern is producing two models of the game, both of which feature the same table design but with a different coloring for the unit itself. The regular table will be produced in multiple colors, but there’s also a limited edition colored like the Hulk, complete with a green Dot Matrix screen. The game is available for ordering now with an MSRP of $8099.
Check out the tables full feature list and promotional photos below:
- Stern Pinball Custom-Molded, Fully Decorated HulkÂ
- “Raging Hulk” Animated Target with Magnet and Ball Interaction
- “Raging Hulk” ‘Ramp Throwing’ Action
- “Spinning Tesseract” Cube Target featuring C-O-S-M-I-C spellout awardsÂ
- Stainless Steel Launch Ramp Featuring Back-lit Laser-Cut Avengers-LogoÂ
- “Black Widow” Ramp with Spinning Target and DiverterÂ
- “Hawkeye” Ramp Featuring Ball Diverter and Stainless Steel Arrow Crossramp
- Â Drop Targets spellout H-U-L-K and T-H-O-R
- Â Stand-up Targets: 3 “Tesseract,” 1 “Hulk Smash” and 3 S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents
- “Hulk Smash” Shaker MotorÂ
- “Loki” Multiball Featuring Physical 3-ball Lock on Right RampÂ
- “Gamma Ray” Ball Eject Â
- Two Electronically-Controlled Gates Control Orbit Shots
- Designer-Signed Playfields –George Gomez’ signature under hard coatÂ
- 1-250 Numbered Plaque and Certificate of Authenticity
- 6 Balls
- Gamma Green LED Dot Matrix Display
- Traditional Red LED Dot Matrix Display
- LED lighting
- Hulk-Themed Mirrored
- Avengers-Themed Mirrored
- Â New Profile Backbox
- Traditional lock down bar, slides, brackets.
- Hulk LE Model Unique Hi-Definition Themed Cabinet Artwork
- Avengers LE Model Unique Hi-Definition Themed Cabinet Artwork
- Cabinet Trim and Illuminated Metal Bottom Arch in Metallic Gamma Green
- Cabinet Trim and Illuminated Metal Bottom Arch in Avengers Azure
- Powdercoated Metallic Red Steel Bottom Arch
- Hulk Green Powdercoated Side Armor and Matching HingesÂ
- Avengers Blue Powdercoated Side Armor and Matching Hinges
- Traditional Coin Door
- Enhanced LE/Premium Game Users’ Manual
- Â MSRP $8099