Giant monsters be damned — love will find a way! Even with the most fearsome creatures in Marvel Comics history uniting to crush the planet, Miles Morales and Gwen Stacy find each other and romance blooms as Marvel kicks off January 2017 in a big way.
And if those two events weren’t enough to have you primed to the new year, Captain Marvel debuts an all-new series, the U.S.Avengers arrive to protect the United States, “IVX” continues to explode across the mutant and Inhumans portion of the Marvel U, and more!
Check out our picks for the biggest Marvel moments of January 2017 below, and view the full solicitations text and cover images here.
- Marvel kicks off its universe-spanning event with writer Cullen Bunn being joined by Steve McNiven to illustrate “Monsters Unleashed” #1. The series and its various tie-ins will find the avengers, Champions, X-Men — essentially every hero in the Marvel U — squaring off against Marvel’s classic monsters.
- Carol Danvers gets a new series, as “The Mighty Captain Marvel” finds her adapting to the role of “biggest super hero ever.” Margaret Stohl and Ramon Rosanas take control of the character’s next chapter.
- U.S.Avengers arrives in January, bringing with it over 50 variant covers, with one cover for ever State, plus Canada, Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico. Inside those cover, Al Ewing and Paco Medina introduce a new A.I.M. — American Intelligence Mechanics, a national agency under the control of former New Mutant and Avenger Roberto da Costa, aka Sunspot.
- First teased in July, Gwen Stacy and Miles Morales’ romance finally arrives in January when the inter-dimensonal heroes cross paths and sparks fly. Brian Bendis and Sara Pichelli kick things off in “Spider-Man” #12, with Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez picking up the baton in “Spider-Gwen” #16 as the hero finds himself on Gwen’s world of Earth-65, where love is apparently in the air.
- For the first time ever, Marvel launches a Wasp solo series, this one starring Hank Pym’s daughter Nadia as she attempts to adapt to life outside the Red Room and forge a name for herself as a young hero. Jeremy Whittley and Elsa Charretier will help guide the teenager as she attempts to become a U.S. citizen in “The Unstoppable Wasp,” with some help from Ms. Marvel and Mockingbird.
- “IVX” continues in January, as the mutant vs Inhuman event continues to re-shape the Marvel Universe. With the Inhumans failing to stop the Terrigen Cloud, the X-Men decide the best course of action is to attack Attilan and deal with the problem themselves — and everyone is caught in the crossfire, as the event spills into Marvel’s ongoing X-Men and Inhumans titles.
- Spider-Man’s “Clone Conspiracy” also continues in January, with Dan Slott, Christos Gage and Giuseppe Camuncoli set to explain exactly how the relationship between Gwen Stacy’s clone and the Jackal works. Meanwhile, Silk adopts a new costume and codename, the Prowler has a shift in viewpoint, and Doctor Octopus and the Lizard go rogue.
- Stuart Moore and Jacopo Camagni introduce Deadpool the Duck, the hero we’re left with when Howard and Wade Wilson’s minds and bodies are accidentally merged. You can read more about DtD’s adventures in our interview with Moore.
- Riri Williams face her first “big Iron Man villain” in “Invincible Iron Man” #3. Marvel’s not saying who it is, and the cover art’s not giving away any clues…
- Taskmaster makes his return in January, where he’ll go up against “Captain America: Steve Rogers.” And not only will he prove a physical threat to Hydra Cap, the solicitation text teases that the villain has figured out the truth behind Rogers’ allegiances.
- Darth Vader’s time headlining his own Star Wars comic has come to an end, but another antihero is poised to step into the Sith Lord’s black boots. Though it was just recently announced, “Star Wars: Doctor Aphra” will hit Issue #3 in January, as the Marvel Comics creation stars in her own ongoing series from Kieron Gillen and Kev Walker.
That’s what really stood out to us in Marvel’s January 2017 offerings — what were you favorite picks?
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!