Fresh from midnight release parties at more than 150 comics stores across North America, the sixth and final volume of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s Scott Pilgrim series climbed as high as No. 12 this morning on Amazon’s bestseller list. It’s ranked ahead of Stephenie Meyer’s latest novel and the Sookie Stackhouse boxed set.
It’s a good beginning to what’s destined to be a stellar week for O’Malley, Oni Press — the publisher released a 100,000-copy first printing for Scott Pilgrim’s Finest Hour — and Universal Pictures as they head to San Diego.
Edgar Wright’s adaptation of the graphic-novel series, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, is receiving the lion’s share of the attention at Comic-Con, of course, with the Thursday movie panel, the colossal “Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic-Con” banner and takeover of the Hilton Gaslamp Courtyard — see those details below — and more.
Here’s a roundup of news involving the release of Scott Pilgrim’s Finest Hour, and the big push at Comic-Con for the graphic novel and the movie:
• The National Post and Comics Alliance spotlight O’Malley, looking at the evolution, and end, of the Scott Pilgrim series. “In the sixth one, I kind of had to start back from zero,” O’Malley says. “It was difficult to figure out where the hell the story was supposed to go. I wanted to be very conclusive. Even minor characters, I at least tried to say hello to them one more time.”
• Check out the Twitter feed of Oni Press Editor-in-Chief James Lucas Jones for photos from the massive midnight-release block party hosted by The Beguiling in Toronto. Yes, block party. The event drew an estimated 2,000 people.
• Tom Spurgeon reports on the release party at Meltdown Comics in Los Angeles.
• Comic-Con attendees who buy a copy of Scott Pilgrim, Vol. 6, at the Oni Press booth (#1833) have their choice of a free Scott or Ramona wristband. If you already own the book, you can purchase the wristbands separately (while supplies last).
• O’Malley has posted his Comic-Con schedule.
• Adventure Retail (4400 aisle) will have exclusive Scott Pilgrim T-shirts and hoodies.
• And, finally, there’s “Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic-Con,” which pledges to kick “Comic-Con’s Heart in the Ass!” You can get updates via the official Twitter account, but here’s a breakdown of what’s going on beginning Thursday:
“SCOTT PILGRIM VS. COMIC-CON” Scott Pilgrim Kicks Comic-Con’s Heart in the Ass!
* Meet the cast and creators: The cast of Universal’s action-comedy will be out and about throughout the convention. Check out twitter.com/SPvsCC for a detailed schedule so you can meet the actors playing your favorite evil ex, jerky jerk or high-school crush, as well as the creator of Scott Pilgrim, Bryan Lee O’Malley, and director Edgar Wright!
* Hear epic live music: Two of the film’s stellar music contributors, Dan the Automator and Kid Koala, will spin, and Gorgeous Got a Gun, the winner of Sonicbids’ “Indie Rock vs. the World: Battle of the Bands” will rock your face off.
* Create your own T-shirt: Choose from awesome Comic-Con exclusive designs to make a limited edition T-shirt that will make your friends jealous. * Moving Flipbooks: Grab your friends, stage a fight, and take home a flipbook that stars all of you!
* Upload a video postcard: Instantly upload and email a personal video message to your friends about how awesome you are for being at Comic-Con.
* Play the new Ubisoft Game: Be one of the very first to test out Ubisoft’s “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game” on one of several demo stations.
* Check out the complete soundtrack: Hear the amazing soundtrack more than two weeks before the August 10 street date.
* Get gift bags: While supplies last, your Comic-Con badge will score you a not-so-evil Scott Pilgrim gift bag.
* Download the iPhone and iPad App “Pilgrim’s Punch-Out”: Get the action-packed game, our schedule Comic-Con events, integrated twitter feed and live updates at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pilgrims-punch-out/id380736800?mt=8.
WHERE: Hilton Gaslamp Courtyard San Diego, CA Follow us on twitter @SPvsCC
WHEN: Thursday, July 22 (12 PM to 4:00 PM), Friday, July 23 (10:00 AM to 4:00 PM), Saturday, July 24 (10:00 AM to 4:00 PM)