Based on a new report, it looks like production on the next X-Men film is close to kicking off. According to the Journal de Montreal, the mystery X-Men film will begin production in the spring of 2017 in Montreal. As reported in English by MovieWeb, the Montreal publication states that 20th Century Fox has opened a production office in Montreal for the next X-Men film.
President of MELS Studios Michel Trudel confirmed to Journal de Montreal that the mystery X-film will shoot in Montreal over a few months. “They will start shooting in May and they will occupy Studios 2 and 3 of MELS for several months,” said Trudel, as translated from French. “We had two and a half months of negotiations with the people of Fox. I went to Los Angeles last October to try to convince them. We are very pleased that they have agreed to return to Montreal. They enjoyed their two previous shooting experience with us and they were very satisfied with our facilities and talent of the Quebec film industry.”
Montreal previously played home to both “X-Men: Days of Future Past” and “X-Men: Apocalypse.”
It’s of course not known which X-Men film this could possibly be, as there are a number of mutant movies in various stages of production. The Channing Tatum-starring “Gambit” was furthest along in production and was originally supposed to already be wrapped by now, but that film has had a hard time keeping directors. Doug Liman exited the project in August and there’s been no replacement named yet.
The other likely candidate is the teen-centric “New Mutants,” which will be directed by “Fault in Our Stars'” Josh Boone. That film already has a director in Boone and a script. Potential storyboards for the film were also revealed just a few weeks ago, storyboards that teased the film’s potential antagonist. It’s been stated that “New Mutants” was eyeing a spring 2017 production start date, so that would make sense with this new report.
This news follows previous reports that Fox is trying to figure out what to do with the franchise next after the lower-than-expected box office returns from “Apocalypse.” A report from last month said that Fox was considering rebooting the franchise and handing it over to producer Simon Kinberg, and that longtime director Bryan Singer was finished with the series. That report has not yet been confirmed by Fox.
The next feature film in Fox’s X-Men franchise is “Logan,” which arrives in theaters on March 3, 2017.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!