Official Press Release
The nominees for the 2003 Russ Manning Most Promising Newcomer Award have been announced. They are:
* Patrick Atangan, writer/artist of The Yellow Jar, published by NBM
* Steven Griffin, artist of Hawaiian Dick, published by Image
* Ritzky Wasisto Edi, artist of Garlands of Moonlight, published by Shoto Press
* Jerome Opena, artist of “Lone,” in Rocket Comics, published by Dark Horse
* Corey Walker, artist of Invincible, published by Image
The award will be presented on the evening of Friday, July 18, at the San Diego Convention Center as part of Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards ceremony.
The nominees are selected by a committee consisting of representatives of the West Coast Comics Club and Comic-Con International: San Diego. The winner is chosen by past Manning award winners and Russ Manning assistants.
The Manning award has been given out annually at the San Diego Comic-Con since 1982. It is given in the name of Russ Manning, the artist best known for his work on the Tarzan and Star Wars newspaper strips and the Magnus, Robot Fighter comic book. Russ was a popular guest at the San Diego convention in the 1970s. Past Manning winners have included Dave Stevens, Jan Duursema, Steve Rude, Scott McCloud, Art Adams, Eric Shanower, Dan Brereton, Jeff Smith, Gene Ha, Goran Sudzuka, and Tan Eng Huat.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!