It appears as though Marvel Studios is hoping lightning will strike twice of the thunder god Thor.
Deadline Hollywood has a report announcing plans for a sequel to this summer’s first big superhero hit that will see actor Chris Hemsworth return in the role he’s currently taking to the team-up film “The Avengers.” “Thor 2” will open sometime in 2013, presumably after the already announced “Iron Man 3” which is slated to appear in theaters on May 3 of that year. [UPDATE: Deadline now cites a date of July 26, 2013 for the film.]
Absent from the sequel will be “Thor” director Kenneth Branagh who the story says will step down from the directing chair for the second outing, however Deadline says the actor/director will remain involved in the franchise in some capacity.
When it opened in May, “Thor” brought in a domestic box office take of $66 million on its way to $437 million worldwide so far. That makes it the most successful superhero film of this summer to date and the latest in a string of hits from Marvel Studios whose “Captain America: The First Avenger” opens on July 22.