More than 2,500 actors — seemingly every Hollywood male between the ages of 16 and 34 — reportedly made pitches to play young Han Solo in the upcoming “Star Wars” spinoff, a number that’s since been slashed to only a dozen. That’s 12 contenders eager for anything that might give them an edge on the competition.
Luckily for them, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” director J.J. Abrams has come through with some advice.
“Watch ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark,’ he told Variety. “It’ll all be right there.”
While “A New Hope” might seem like the obvious suggestion for anyone wishing to wear Han Solo’s jacket, “Raiders” is very much Harrison Ford’s film, where his mannerisms and swagger are front and center. That’s perfect, as long as Lucasfilm and directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller are seeking an actor to imitate Ford.
Miles Teller, Dave Franco, Logan Lerman and Ansel Elgort are said to be among the names on Lucasfilm’s shortlist. Variety previously suggested that whoever is cast in the role could make an appearance in December’s “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” which is set just before the event of “A New Hope.”
Written by Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan, the untitled movie opens May 25, 2018.