Thirty-six questions. Six answers. One random number generator. Welcome to Robot Roulette, where creators roll the virtual dice and answer our questions about their lives, careers, interests and more.
Joining us today is writer Robert Venditti, who you know from X-O Manowar, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps., Demon Knights, the graphic novel adaptations of Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Homeland Directive and The Surrogates
Now let’s get to it …
(Disclaimer: As my wife will readily tell you, I have a difficult time giving single answers to questions.)
4. What’s the worst job you’ve ever had (comic industry or otherwise)?
That’s hard to say. I worked at a Subway. I also worked in the kitchen at a Chuck E. Cheese. One night, the guy whose job was to be the mouse called out sick, and they tried to get me to fill in for him. I declined.
7. What is the strangest thing you have in your house?
An unhatched egg from a Carolina Chickadee nest.
18. What’s the last thing you ate and drank before answering these questions?
A slice of pizza with pepperoni and meatball, and a glass of water. Courtesy of my favorite local pizza place, Mia’s Pizza and Eats.
21. Who has been the biggest help or motivator in your career?
Chris Staros at Top Shelf Productions. My first job in comics was working in Top Shelf’s warehouse, and Chris was the one who decided to publish my first comic book series, The Surrogates. I worked for Top Shelf for 10 years, and every day I apply something I learned during that time.
28. Based on where you live right now, what’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home, and why did you go there?
Lucca, Italy. I went for the Lucca Comics Festival in 2009, as part of a European tour for the foreign-language editions of The Surrogates. Brett Weldele and I spent 20 days in Germany, France, Belgium and Italy, all expenses paid. Until that trip, I’d never been out of North America. Unreal.
35. What is your all-time favorite TV show?
1970s: The Rockford Files
1990s: NYPD Blue
2000s: The Sopranos.
(See what I mean about single answers?)