In addition to the exclusive first word that DC Comics is bringing All Star Batman to a close, CBR has the first look at the solicitation text and cover art for the series’ final issue.
In an interview with CBR, series writer Scott Snyder explained why the hit title is wrapping up with the September release of Issue #14, which will double as the grand finale of his and American Vampire co-creator Rafael Albuquerque’s story arc. In short, DC loves the series and fan response to it so much, the publisher wants to continue to push boundaries and release stories that had been planned for it in new, different formats.
“DC approached me and said, how would you like to take some of the stuff that you are working on with [artist] Sean [Murphy] and do it a new, prestige format?” Snyder explained. “Instead of doing it monthly, why not do it in this format that would allow for it to be a bigger stage, both for Sean artistically, and to package the story in a new way and then allow every subsequent story that I was going to do with Paul Pope, with Afua [Richardson], with Lee Bermejo, be done in this format that really foregrounds the art – different paper size, different cut, the whole thing? In that way, it seemed obvious and a perfect solution instead of having them work month-to-month on a normal-sized, conventional comic, we could be some of the first people to try driving in this new lane for DC. I’m really, really thrilled about it.”
Check out Albuquerque’s cover as well as the full solicitation copy for All Star Batman #14, below.
ALL STAR BATMAN #14
- Written by SCOTT SNYDER
- Art by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
- Backup story art by SEBASTIAN FIUMARA
- Cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
- Variant covers by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE and SEBASTIAN FIUMARA
- “The First Ally” finale! In the final issue of Scott Snyder’s high-octane run on ALL STAR BATMAN, he and superstar artist Rafael Albuquerque put Batman to the ultimate test! Faced with either losing his future as Batman or the person he loves most, the Dark Knight must decide which ultimate price he is willing to pay.
- On sale SEPTEMBER 13 • 40 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T • FINAL ISSUE