The Eisner Awards judges have selected trailblazing publisher Orrin C. Evans and Golden Age artists Irwin Hasen and Sheldon Moldoff for automatic induction this summer into the Will Eisner Comic Awards Hall of Fame.
Evans, who passed away in 1971, edited and published the first all-black comic book, 1947’s All-Negro Comics. Hasen, who created the comic strip Dondi with Gus Edson, drew the Golden Age adventures of such heroes as Green Lantern, Wildcat, the Flash and the Justice Society. One of Bob Kane’s primary ghost artists, the late Moldoff co-created such Batman characters as Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Bat-Mite and the original Batwoman and Bat-Girl.
The judges also chose 14 nominees from which voters may select four to be inducted into the 2014 Hall of Fame:
- Gus Arriola — the late creator of the Gordo comic strip
- Howard Cruse -creator of Barefootz and Stuck Rubber Baby
- Philippe Druillet — influential French cartoonist and founder of Humanoïdes Associés and Métal Hurlant
- Rube Goldberg — the late cartoonist best known for his creation of the “Rube Goldberg machine”
- Fred Kida — Golden Age artist best known for his work on Airboy
- Tarpé Mills — the late creator of Miss Fury, and one of the few female artists working during the Golden Age
- Hiyao Miyazaki — legendary animated filmmaker and manga artist
- Alan Moore — writer of Batman:The Killing Joke, Watchmen, From Hell, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Lost Girls
- Francoise Mouly — editor and publisher of Raw magazine and art director of The New Yorker
- Dennis O’Neil — writer/editor, Batman titles, Daredevil
- Antonio Prohias — creator of MAD Magazine‘sSpy Vs. Spy
- Rumiko Takahashi — popular manga creator, including Urusei Yatsura and Ranma
- George Tuska — the late Golden and Silver Age artist best known for Crime Does Not Pay and his Marvel comics work
- Bernie Wrightson — artist whose work includes co-creating Swamp Thing, Warren publications and his own adaptations of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein
Online voting is open now through March 17. Full details can be found here. The inductees will be announced July 25 during the Eisner Awards ceremony at Comic-Con International.