Organizers of the Ann Arbor Comic Art Festival have announced the shortlist for the third annual Dwayne McDuffie Award for Kids’ Comics, named in honor of the influential comics/animation writer and co-creator of Static Shock who passed away in 2011.
The award runs in tandem with the Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity but, as its name suggests, focuses on comics aimed a young readers.
Here’s the 2017 shortlist, composed of comic books published in 2016:
- Bad Machinery Volume 6: The Case of the Unwelcome Visitor, by John Allison
- Blip! by Barnaby Richards
- The Cloud, by K.I. Zachopoulos and Vincenzo Bolzano
- The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo, by Drew Weing
- Ghosts, by Raina Telgemeier
- Goldie Vance, by Hope Larson, Britney Williams and Sarah Stern
- Hilda and the Stone Forest, by Luke Pearson
- Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur Vol. 1: BFF, by Amy Reeder and Brandon Montclair
- Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! Vol. 1: Hooked On A Feline, by Kate Leth, Brittney Williams and Natasha Allegri
- Princess Princess Ever After, by Katie O’Neill.
If you’re looking for recommendations for great contemporary comics for kids, this shortlist seems like a pretty good start.
The winner will be announced on Saturday, June 17, at the opening of the Ann Arbor Comic Arts Festival, a free two-day event held at the Ann Arbor District Library in Ann Arbor, Michigan.