Between “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Captain America: Civil War,” the 2016 slate of comic book movies already has a couple of big superhero showdowns scheduled. But there’s still one more fight comic book fans want to see happen: Deadpool vs. Wolverine. And, possibly good news for those fans eager to see claws meet katanas, Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman are very aware of that desire. While speaking with MTV International, Reynolds and his “Deadpool” co-star T.J. Miller weighed in on the possibility of seeing Wolverine and Deadpool together on the big screen.
“I know it happens, kind of, in the comics,” said Miller, “but it would be interesting to see what it is. But I do believe in the future there will be a movie called ‘Deadpool vs. Wolverine.'” Reynolds wasn’t so sure about that, joking that the idea is “very ambitious” before saying, “Who wouldn’t want to see a ‘Deadpool/Wolverine’ movie?” But since Hugh Jackman has said that the upcoming third “Wolverine” film will be his last one as the character, Reynolds doesn’t have much hope for that to happen. But you know, Jackman has said he’s “open” to the idea!
As martial arts-trained Canadians that’ve been put through the wringer by the government, Wolverine and Deadpool have a lot in common and, therefore, plenty of fodder for a feature film. They’ve also interacted a ton in the comics over the past 20 years, going from enemies to tentative allies and back again repeatedly. Here are 20 covers showcasing their… let’s just say tumultuous friendship.
1. Deadpool and Wolverine got off on the wrong foot, what with the double impaling and all.
2. When Deadpool’s blades aren’t in Wolverine, Wolverine’s in Deadpool’s blade.
3. The two fought over DP’s aggressive use of pouches.
4. But they also teamed up together, and somehow didn’t scare off Captain America.
5. See? They can get along so long as the activities involve leaping into gunfire!
6. But even if they stand side-by-side sometimes…
7. They still tend to get in each others’ faces.
8. Like, they get I-can-smell-your-breakfast-breath level close.
9. Sometime’s Wade Wilson vogues behind Logan.
10. And sometimes Wolverine admires his forearm behind the mouthy merc.
11. There was the time Deadpool bro’d out with Hercules literally on top of Wolverine.
12. Dressing up like Jean Grey in front of Wolverine? Is nothing sacred, Deadpool?!
13. Turns out Deadpool’s sleep number is six (Wolverine claws).
14. These two love going at it in front of giant heads.
15. They’re are an OK Cupid match solely because they love of fighting in front of giant heads.
16. No giant head, no problem.
17. Deadpool will attack Wolverine in front of his son. Deadpool has no chill.
18. Somehow these two cooled off enough to serve on X-Force together.
19. They even did sick flips together!
20. And then there’s… this…