On the eve of the debut of its digital-first Batman comic, DC Comics has revealed the line-up for the first six chapters of Legends of the Dark Knight, along with art from Ethan Van Sciver.
Announced in April at Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo as part of an expansion of the publisher’s digital-first slate — Ame-Comi Girls launched May 28 — the out-of-continuity series features standalone stories by different creative teams chronicling some of Batman’s cases.
The first chapter, by Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof and Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth, Animal Man), premieres Thursday and takes place early in the Dark Knight’s career when, as Lindelof recently told Comic Book Resources, Batman is “still working out the kinks, as it were.” “One of the things that I really like about Jeff’s writing that not a lot of people are doing right now in the industry is that it’s funny. It’s fun,” he said. “It’s not funny like a wink outside the panel where it’s broad humor. There is just a sense of amusement about everything.”
The line-up for the first six chapters is:
- June 7 – “The Butler Did It,” written by Damon Lindelof and illustrated by Jeff Lemire
- June 14 – “All of the Above,” written by Jonathan Larsen and illustrated by JG Jones
- June 21– “The Crime Never Committed,” written by Tom Taylor and illustrated by Nicola Scott and Wayne Faucher
- June 28 – “Crisis of Identity,” Part 1 written by B. Clay Moore and illustrated by Ben Templesmith
- July 5 – “Crisis of Identity,” Part 2 written by B. Clay Moore and illustrated by Ben Templesmith
- July 12 – “Crisis of Identity,” Part 3 written by B. Clay Moore and illustrated by Ben Templesmith
New chapters, which debut each Thursday, can be downloaded for 99 cents on the DC Entertainment website.