Comic-Con International announced via press release today this year’s nominees for the Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award. Presented to a comics artist “who, early in his or her career, shows a superior knowledge and ability in the art of creating comics,” the award is named for Russ Manning, the artist known for his work on the Tarzan and Star Wars newspaper strips, and the Magnus, Robot Fighter comic book.
The 2010 nominees are:
- Marc Borstel, artist of The Misadventures of Clark and Jefferson (published by APE Entertainment)
- Marion Churchland, writer/artist of Beast (published by Image)
- Sarah Oleksyk, writer/artist of Ivy (self-published)
- Julian Totino Tedesco, artist of Unthinkable (published by BOOM! Studios)
- Charles Paul Wilson III, artist of Stuff of Legends (published by Th3rd World)
The nominees were selected by a committee consisting of representatives of the West Coast Comics Club and Comic-Con International. The winner will be chosen by past Manning award winners and Russ Manning assistants.
Previous winners of the award include Dave Stevens, Jan Duursema, Steve Rude, Scott McCloud, Art Adams, Eric Shanower, Dan Brereton, Jeff Smith, Gene Ha, Alexander Maleev, Goran Sudzuka, Eric Wight, R. Kikuo Johnson, David Petersen, Cathy Malkasian and Eleanor Davis.
The recipient will be announced during the Eisner Awards ceremony on July 23 at Comic-Con International in San Diego.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!